I watched twelve movies on poverty and I felt that each one gave its own side of poverty.
The people in the movies struggled a lot to just get by, to pay rent, to get food, to pay important bills. It is very sad to watch, especially when they cannot seem to get help from anyone. When I saw the movies I wanted to help each person because I saw their lives, their families, friends, and trials. It reminded me that everyone needs love. Just because you do not know someone you should still help them, they have family and friends and a life. Most of the movies ended happily or on a happy note, which makes sense because many people watch movies for entertainment. However, they do not want to see movies who are just depressing. All of the movies had hope, except for one, The Bicycle Thief. While The Grapes of Wrath did not have a happy ending, it ended on a happy note, there was promise for the family. A lot of the things that I saw in the movies like Slumdog Millionaire and Dirty Pretty Things I did not know were going on. Watching Hoop Dreams put real faces with the stories of poor people in the city who deal with drugs and violence every day. I wanted so much sometimes for someone to help a person or family in the movie that I realized that I should and do want that outside of the movies to. One man comments in The Grapes of Wrath that the family could not possibly be human because “a human couldn’t stand to be so miserable.” There should always be help for people who have nothing. I loved the line in A Raisin in the Sun, “There is always something left to love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment